The History of Residence Celeste
Beginning circa 1700, the Lake Como area was affected by a huge emigration phenomenon, caused by poverty, when the area could not provide for all.
The families who wanted riches and power were force to seek their fortunes elsewhere, they travelled to every corner of Europe to bring their local products and produce, Citrus fruits, olive Oil, Laurel and Chestnuts, to name but a few.
With these riches many beautiful palaces were built on Lake Como, containing Marble, Mosaic flooring, Coffered ceilings, Frescos. And Luxurious Hallways.
These are the Brentano, Cetti, Mainoni, and Giulini's houses, that can still be admired today.
It's in this period the Residence Celeste building began.
Towards the end of the 1700's some members of Countess Brentano Mezzegra family decided to build in front of father’s palace, the actual residence to hide the fabulous Lake View.
The legend says the two Palaces became the seat of two Monasteries, and that the religious met in secret in underground passages, these passages connect the two buildings, and lead to the Lake.
The construction became a rural house and the fields were cultivated, Olive trees, Vines, and Mulberries, food for Silk worms were planted.
In 1933 Mr. Carlo Galli Great Grandfather of the present day owner bought the property, redeemed all Mortgages, and used the dwelling as home, and farm.
The house remains the same and passed by Father to elder son Celeste Galli, until the present day.
In 2001 the present day Galli Family decided to begin restructure work to transform the property into Holiday Apartments, maintaining the principle characteristics of old, the Époque fire, Coffered ceilings, Built in Wardrobe, Arches and Niches. Maintaining the Charm of bygone days. And of course Honoring Grandfather by giving the Residence his name.
Fax +39 0344-40394