It was in 1884 that the old railway line Menaggio -Porlezza began to work.
The railroad was born on the initiative of the “Banca della Svizzera Italiana” based in Lugano.
It was formed a corporation called “Navigation and the Railways for Lake Lugano” .
The program of the corporation was the construction of the railroad, economic, Ponte Tresa-Luino and Menaggio-Porlezza.
The old railway was then called the “Railway of the three Lakes” : Lake Maggiore, Lake Lugano, Lake Como.